Monday, August 22, 2005

I have a question

I am tryng to knit the basketcase sock. All is going well, but I am a little nervous I cam going to run out of yarn before I get to the toe. Anyway, I have a question, as this is the first top down sock I have knit. The sock has 60 stitches. I have gotten to the heel flap part, and there are thirty stitches I have left behind, and I am knitting away on the flap. I have two questions.
1. Next I am supposed to turn the heel. I now have 30 stitches on the needles. These are the instructions:
Turn heel
Row 1: Slip 1, Knit 19 stitches, SSK, turn.
Row 2: Slip 1, Purl 10 stitches, P2tog, turn.
Row 3: Slip 1, Knit 10 stitches, SSK, turn.

Repeat the last two rows until all stitches have been worked (12 sts remaining). Slip 1, knit across.

I think I can figure this one out. Maybe another question later.

2. This is the real question I have. The instruction for the instep are as follows:
Instep Pattern (18 stitches):
Rows 1 & 2: K 8, P 2, K 8
Rows 3 & 4: P 6, K 2, P 2, K 2, P 6
Rows 5 & 6: K 8, P 2, K 8
Rows 7 & 8: K 2, P 2, K 10, P 2, K 2
Rows 9 & 10: K 2, P 2, K 2, P 6, K 2, P 2, K 2
Rows 11 & 12: K 2, P 2, K 10, P 2, K 2


Okay, now the instep pattern in the continuation of the sock patter, so theis is the top part of the sock. But I have 30 stitches on those needles and this says 18 stitches. I am very confused about what to do when I get to this point. Can someone help?

Thanks

I am headed to Aspen on Wednesday for a conference. I will have to figure out if there are any yarn shops, and what projects to take. And if I can't figure out the sock thing, it may have to be something else, which is no big deal. Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the pattern is to be centered on the instep? Usually the instep carries the pattern, and the bottom parts of the foot are plain - looking at the picture, there instep pattern is about one repeat in...?

Sometimes I find that with sock patterns, reading ahead to the end helps a bit.

Your SP

8/23/2005 07:29:00 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I'm with SP. The part labeled "instep pattern" is just the stitch pattern, not the actual pattern for executing the instep. If you read ahead, all will become clear! :)

8/23/2005 09:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I'll add...that if that is, indeed, the stitch pattern, remember to place it in the center with the same number of stitches on each side.

Your SP

8/23/2005 11:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home